A glowing smile is attractive and memorable, but did you know it’s also a leading sign of optimal oral health? Teeth that are free of decay are usually brighter, and healthy gums are pink and even, making your smile radiate well-being.
Whether you’re recovering from gum disease or simply hoping for a more attractive smile, enhancing your smile starts by choosing healthy habits. Below are just a few simple things you can do to boost your enamel’s appeal and protect your smile:
- Eat Nutrient-Rich Foods – Teeth need nutrients to stay strong, white, and free of cavities. Foods rich in calcium and phosphorus – like dairy, leafy greens, fish, and poultry – are especially crucial for sustaining enamel health.
- No Smoking or Tobacco Use – Along with their cancer-causing components, tobacco products are significantly hazardous to your oral health and can lead to gum disease, bad breath, and tooth decay. Tobacco products are a leading contributor to tooth discoloration, so it’s ideal to avoid them altogether.
- Limit Teeth-Staining Culprits – Your favorite beverages, like coffee, soda, tea, and red wine might be dulling your smile. Their intense color pigments cling to porous tooth enamel, leaving lasting tooth staining. Try combating these culprits with fluoride toothpaste designed to brighten your smile while strengthening your enamel.
- Drink Plenty of Water – Water helps keep your mouth moist, stimulating saliva and washing away extra food particles that bacteria like to feed on. Water is not only essential for overall health, but it also helps fight off oral bacteria that can lead to gum disease.
- Chew Sugarless Gum – Chewing sugarless gum between meals stimulates saliva flow, neutralizing disease-causing acids throughout the mouth. Saliva also carries high amounts of calcium and phosphate for strengthening enamel.
- Visit Your Dental Professional Regularly – Along with brushing, flossing, and rinsing with mouthwash, scheduling dental exams and cleanings every six months is important for a brighter smile and to preserve your oral health. Regular appointments help prevent many health problems from developing and removes plaque buildup.
Eliminate Gum Disease for Whiter, Long-Lasting Smile
Dental appeal worthy of the silver screen is achievable when common issues like gum disease are caught and treated before they become serious health problems. Dr. Danny Joseph, DDS, and his periodontal team believe a beautiful and luminous smile starts with great oral health. Contact us today and find out how we can help you restore your gum health today!